For 10 people
2 pound(s) raisins
1/2 pound(s) prunes
10 cup(s) red wine
2 cup(s) Grace Prima Margarine
2 cup(s) dark sugar
8 medium eggs (8-9 medium eggs may be used)
1 tablespoon(s) lime juice
1 teaspoon(s) lime rind
1/2 pound(s) candied fruits
1 tablespoon(s) vanilla essence
1 teaspoon(s) almond essence
1 cup(s) white rum
1 pound(s) cake flour
1/4 pound(s) cracker crumbs/bread crumbs
1 tablespoon(s) baking powder
2 teaspoon(s) nutmeg
4 tablespoon(s) Grace Browning (4-6 tablespoons may be used)
Christmas Fruit Cake Directions
- Steam raisins and prunes in seven (7) cups of red wine and allow to cool.
- Cream Grace Prima Margarine and sugar until light and creamy. Beat in eggs one at a time; add lime juice and lime rind.
- To the steamed fruits, add candied fruits, vanilla and almond essence. Blend until smooth then mix in the white rum.
- Combine cake flour, cracker crumbs/bread crumbs, baking powder and nutmeg and mix well.
- Fold in one third of the flour mixture, then half of the blended fruits. Repeat this step. Fold in the final 1/3 flour mixture with the Grace Browning.
- Scrape batter into two (2) greased and lined 10" cake tins. Bake in a pre-heated oven 180°C/350°F for 30 minutes. Reduce temperature to 150°C/300°F and bake for an additional 30 minutes or until done.
Use remaining red wine to wet cakes while they are still warm. White rum may also be used.
The amount of browning added is based on colour preference.
Yield: 16 slices
Preparation time: 30m
Cooking time: 1h